Originally built around farmland and later additions of approximately 100 acres from the Palmer-Ball farm, the original subdivision was established for the Plantation swim club in existence from 1956 until 2005. The Plantation swim club was the home of the National Swim and Diving Championships as seen on ABC Sports for many years. The City of Plantation was incorporated as a 5th Class City in 1960. Part of the original land division included a gift to the Bishop for the establishment of Mother of Good Council parish. After the blending of Mother of Good Counsel and Our Lady of Transfiguration schools by the Archdiocese, the property was purchased by Portland Christian School.
The City of Plantation is located in the northeastern part of Jefferson County. The boundaries for Plantation are generally Westport Road on the southern boundary, Stonehurst Drive is on the eastern edge of the neighborhood, Colonel Drive runs north to Turnside Drive which marks the northern boundary and Blossom Lane and Bayou Way extend west to the western boundary.